Competing in today’s agricultural market requires precision crop production beginning with choosing the correct crop varieties and hybrids through proper harvest and storage. Plant Tissue Analysis is a tool that assists in understanding nutrients that crops are utilizing from the soil.
When evaluating crops, there are many visual indicators to gauge the health and growth of the plants. Rainfall can be measured, plant populations can be counted and pest and/or weed infestation can be seen. However, the nutrient status of the plant cannot be determined by visual methods. CVAS offers laboratory analysis of plant tissue for nitrogen, nitrates, as well as a variety of minerals and heavy metals. These results can provide information to diagnose problems, allowing for corrective fertilizer application during the current growing season or for future applications.
When sending samples to CVAS for Plant Tissue Analysis, it is critical to sample at the correct stage of growth and the correct part of the plant. General sampling guidelines are below, for more extensive instructions and a full list of stage and plant part to sample, see CVAS Tech Notes: Plant Tissue Analysis and Plant Tissue Analysis – Sampling Guidelines.
Standard Plant Tissue Test:
Includes - Crude Protein, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Sulfur, Iron, Manganese, Zinc, Copper and Boron.
Trace Minerals (evaluated individually):
Cadmium, Cobalt, Lead, Molybdenum and Nickel
Basic Sampling Guidelines:
1. Sample plants from the entire field unless you are trouble-shooting a specific area, then select plants from only
inside that affected area.
2. Collect samples at the correct stage of growth and only the correct portion of the plant.
3. Samples should be collected in a paper bag or clean plastic bucket (do not use a metal bucket).
4. Remove any dust or residue from the plant parts. Do not include roots in the sample.
5. Ship the sample to CVAS in a paper bag or paper envelope. Do not use plastic or polystyrene shipping containers. Overnight shipping is recommended.